Roles and Responsibilities of an NDIS Dietitian Brisbane
Brisbane residents with disabilities need the help and support of an NDIS dietitian, Brisbane. By working closely with other health therapists, and an experienced NDIS dietitian, Brisbane helps disabled adults and children achieve their goals.
People with disabilities in Brisbane get a wide range of help and support from an NDIS dietitian, Brisbane, including:
- Tube weaning and tube feeding
- Excessive weight gain
- Help and support people with swallowing and chewing difficulties
- Nutritional deficiencies as a result of eating a limited range of foods and poor participation or social outcomes
- Picky/resistant/fussy eating habits
- Support optimal development and growth
- Help with bowel issues like celiac disease, limited fibre intake, diarrhoea, constipation, etc.
- Stressful and challenging mealtimes such as avoiding social eating, not coming to the table, food refusal, or having many distractions while eating
- Prevention of pressure injuries such as poor wound healing
Accessing Dietetic services using NDIS funding
Participants of the NDIS program are given control and choice when it comes to achieving their goals. It means that NDIS funds can be used by participants to access support from a dietitian if it can help them towards achieving their goals.
It also means that accessing dietetic services can be included in the plans of a participant if it is seen as a necessary and reasonable need. NDIS funding will consider the need for a dietitian if the following criteria are met, including:
Your disability is related to your dietary needs
Your disability should be directly related to your dietary needs. NDIS funding will be approved if public healthcare and other service systems are unable to fund your dietary needs that are directly linked to your disability.
Your functional capability
Your functional capability should be directly linked to dietary support. The areas that need maintaining or building function include:
- Social interaction
Outcomes a Dietitian can support and help
- Enhance overall wellbeing and health
- Address specific health concerns
- Help and support as you recover from injury
- Help manage your weight
- Help you choose and shop for healthier ingredients
- Prepare healthy meals
Health goals a dietitian can help with
- Learn to choose healthier food options when dining out
- Goal weight is achieved and maintained
- Learn proper ways of preparing and cooking healthier meals
- Learn the best food choices when shopping
- Understand and manage food allergies and intolerances
How to determine whether your NDIS goals need help from a dietitian
Any health plan of an individual needs help from a dietitian. The symptoms that need help from an experienced dietitian include:
- Changes in medication
- Overall health changes
- Drastic weight changes
- Experience difficulties in preparing or eating foods
- Inability to achieve weight changes
- Newly-diagnosed or pre-existing chronic disease related to diet
How can a dietitian help?
Assist and help with meal plans
- Provide you with healthy recipes
- Identify additional supplement requirements
- Simplify food shopping
- Educate you on food portion sizes
Educate you on healthy eating habits
- The impact nutrition has on all parts of the health
- The role of food in recovery and health
- The impact quality nutrition has on the body
- Know and understand quality food
- How managing disabilities are helped by food
Contact a specialised NDIS dietitian to know more.
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER.......... ..........
Subscribe to our mailing list to get updates to your email inbox.
GET MONTHLY NEWSLETTER